Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Priorities.

Okay, I have to write a post about this. I might be rambling or grumbling in a sorts but, this has to be one of my biggest pet-peeves right now. Why is it, that everyone assumes I have so much more time than any other given person? "I just don't have time for something like that.", "I don't know where you find the time to do everything you do.", "I wish I had time to do that.", These are just some of the things I hear everyday. Here it is people, I am going to share a secret with you. This little secret was divulged to me by my brother-in-law, some years ago. Now, these are the words of insight that were given and have rung in my head daily since then, "Rhonda, you can find time for anything if it is important to you." . We were talking about running and working out. I swore there was no way I could fit me time into my schedule with small kids at home. I know now, that just isn't so. I am able to work-out every day and I seem to actually have more time in the day. I am going to break down what my priorities are ( every ones are different).
1. Me time

a. scripture/prayer
b. running
c. shower
d. social time

2. Family

a. play time with the little ones
b. meal times
c. scripture reading
d. homework and after school insights
e. husband

3. House

a. chores
b. projects

4. work

a. job at the time
b. creative time

5. Service

So, this is my major breakdown. Not everyday is the same and on some days the priorities change except for two. I have learned to always take care of me. I am the one that holds this family together. How can I be a great mother and a good wife if I am not happy with who I am. This means I always come first. I know what you are thinking, what a selfish person. Really, I am not being selfish it is actually the opposite. I feel better about ME when I get quiet time and some running time fit into my day. I think I am being a positive example to my girls by taking care of myself first. I only require a little social time. I like to be to myself, in a sorts. I do like to have my monthly scrapbooking time. My Family is the other thing that never changes on this list. If I have to give up something on the list so, my family has what they need than I do it. I try to spend as much time with them as I can. I will just use yesterday as an example. I spent maybe, 30 min with my son helping him on his blog while I did the mending. We were spending time together but, I was able to do two things at one time and he got some much needed one on one. I was in my new studio trying to get things situated so, I could get some work done this week and Liz came in and we did her homework while I cleaned. When she got done she asked if I had anything she could organize. We were able to get some chit-chatting done while she helped me clean my studio. I love that she is an organizer. Rachael spent time playing the Dora video game on the computer while I worked in the studio and Christyn took a nap. Had lunch with my husband and the girls. Dinner with the family. Played poly-pockets with the girls.When I look at my entire day I spend the most time with my family and that is as it should be.
Maybe, some of this priority thing comes from me, but anyone can fit something into their schedule if they want it bad enough. My husband is a procrastinator and so is his family. This often drives me nutts but, if I married a do-er like me who would slow me down to enjoy the little things in life. I don't like to sit still and I like to multi-task. This is just who I am and how I am made. I don't sit and take advantage of the time of day that is given to me unless my list seems fulfilled that day.
Most of the comments that come my way are related to my creative time. This is something that is important to me and that is why it finds a place in my schedule. My soul is happy when I can create something, and sometimes that might just be, a nice meal that took hours to prepare. Making treats for a Halloween party, painting my house, cleaning my studio, scrapbooking, reading a magazine or book, making costumes, all these things I consider creative time.

Now, let me just share one more thing. If you notice chores are one of my priorities. So many people comment on how my house is always clean and with 4 kids. Let me just say right now, that is a lie. It is not always clean but, yes it is most often clean and that is because, it is one of my priorities. This is strictly for me, I can not be happy in my home if it is a wreck. My spirit needs cleanliness and order. I know this is not the case for everyone but, that is why most people come over and the house is clean. I need to clean for my own sanity. Someone's priority might be to get a good book in or to spend time with friends, or shopping, whatever the case may be, those are their priorities.

Priorities are ever changing. I know in the next year or so, mine will be different. We never know what the future holds for each of us. I just try and figure out what is most important to me at that time and make it a priority.

Thanks to my military driven brother-in-law, for sharing his words of encouragement, so many years ago. At that time I never thought those words would stay with me so strongly. Don't get a big head Chris, but, you shared with me some of the greatest insight I have ever been given. I do live by your words on a daily basis.

Rhonda

1 comment:

shayster said...

Good job! What a great great example!